The living style is changing from day to day. Ten years ago while PCs including laptop computers rules the world with its advantages, people are really dream to own a good laptop to support their job or even for research or students need it to support their study. Ten years later, which is nowadays, everything has changed while everyone dream to own a good tablet instead of a laptop. But those tablets also have it own pros and cons
Today, I would pick up some disadvantages or cons of a tablet compare to a laptop:
1. Working space: Tablet means everything in one single device and you have to use on screen tools such as keyboard, toolbars… Those tools need space and it also eat-up nearly 40% – 50% of total tablet’s screen. This mean your working space reduce and you also reduce your own productivity in some reasons. That would never happen in laptop or other PCs in general while it has separate keyboard and larger screen for you.
2. Professional softwares: Speaking about softwares, there is nothing could compare to a full PCs that could offers you an incredible productivity softwares such as office, photo editor, accountant softwares, and many others while tablet never have full function softwares but just offers you what we usually call “apps” or “application “. To be clear, apps or applications are not fully function designed. Most of those apps just semi-pro applications that could offers you quick and easy for you to just input some mighty data instead while you don’t have enough time to start up your laptop. Never expect too much from a tablet even if it is a $1,000 tablet.
3. LCD projection: Come to this point, tablet has nothing to compare with a PC because you cannot conduct a presentation with a tablet without a projection adaptor which somehow it is costly. A PC could do it without any problem, just plug the VGA, HDMI or mini Display cable in and you are ready to go.
4. Smartness of the devices: It is very hard to judge which device is smart and others are not smart enough because it all based on mostly the same mathematical architecture or algorithm. But the smartness of each tablet or PC based on its softwares or apps. Most of the tablets could hold on with huge and complex task due to limitation of its processing unit, but those seem lesser problem with PC while your can solve tons of problems at one with fantastic results.
5. Multitasking: Come to this point, tablets are almost defeat by PCs, even some high-end Android tablets let you run and do your work with more than 2 apps the same time. PCs let you do that witn ease.
6. Storage: How to compare a tablet with 128GB of storage to a 500GB storage of a PC? We cannot compare that even some manufacturers are trying to introduce some external storages that allow tablets to access, read and write the data wirelessly.
7. Price and product’s cost: Here I want to mention two separate things. One, is about the price of a tablet. Some tablet could potentially priced at a very high price, for example Sony Experia Z tablet series which somehow I think it is over priced and nonsense. Two, product cost, these all about the extra money that you would spend for its accessaries to get the full productivity of that tablet, for example if you want the get the full productivity of a $299 nVidia Shield tablet you would potentially need to pay another $60 for Shield controller which is a game pad, another $40 for its cover and that could add up the product cost to $400.
Above are just some disadvantages of a tablet no matter it is an Apple product or other Android tablets, they are both have mostly the same disadvantages and it could somehow will never replace your laptop. But recently, many Windows tablets released and some of them are fully Windows tablet that offfer you the PC experiences but still have its own disadvantages.
The decision is yours and no matter what you would decide, you will have your own reasons for that decision.
Hope everyone will choose what best for you and your work.